Unfortunately this post will probably be on the short side, but I only have 2 days (plus tonight) left and I want to cherish my time with these great people. :)
So yes, we headed off to Cambridge again today and were on the bus FOR. EV. ER!! I don't know why it took so long to get there, but it did and it was suuper long. Anyway, we got there with much less free time than we were expecting so we just grabbed a bite to eat and headed to St. Michael's where we were meeting with none other than... THE John Rutter! We were extremely lucky to be able to spend some time with him, because in Dr. Staheli's terms John Rutter is a "prickly" man. Haha. Anyway, he talked to us for about 35 minutes or so, mostly about the history of Cambridge and then about his career. It was really neat and he was actually very pleasant and entertaining! Before meeting with him Dr. Staheli and Sister Hall prepped us about it, saying that we needed to be extremely careful because he's "prickly" and is so well known that he can pretty much do whatever he wants (aka be rude) and get away with it. I couldn't help but think how sad that must be to be described that way! I hadn't even met the man yet and already all I knew about his personality is that he's not very nice! I really hope I never get described that way, thats not a fun way to live! :( I felt bad for him. Haha, maybe I'm just weird.
Once he was done we sprinted over to King's College at Cambridge to attend the rehearsal for their evensong. And yeah this is King's College, as in the super famous King's College (in the choral world). Its one of two colleges at Cambridge that still has choir boys- all the rest have included women in their colleges/choirs now. The REALLY cool thing is that today was David Wilcocks' 90th birthday (he used to be the choir director at King's College and made it super famous) today and so they were singing his music for the service... and he was there!! Wow. Unexpected AWESOMENESS! :) *I really shouldn't blog this late at night. I'm crazy.* He was the cutest 90 year old man ever and he was so spry! He was just walking along with a spring in his step and went up the stairs like nothing! He talked to us for a while as well and told some funny stories about his days as a choir boy. Well I think they were funny. We couldn't really hear him or understand him too well, but he was cracking up at himself so we figured we should too. ;)
The rehearsal was great, as well as the evensong, and then once it was over we sprinted to St. John's College for their evensong! Haha. King's College's evensong ended at 6:18, so we had to walk pretty briskly to make it to St. John's by 6:30. I'm glad we went to two evensongs, we haven't been to as many lately, and tonight was our last choral concert/event! Sad! I'm really going to miss partaking in this rich choral culture here, its amazing.
St. John's was great as well, although I enjoyed King's College more. Sorry I'm not going into details but its super late and I want to get enough sleep to be jolly tomorrow. ;) The bus ride home was long as well, then we went to Tesco (the grocery store) to get a couple things to tide us over, and then watched a movie! I haven't done that at all here in London, I'm not really a big movie watcher ever, but I figured I could do it tonight. :) Here are a couple pictures of the colleges in Cambridge! Sorry I cut off the top of that one...
Wow John Rutter! Even if he is prickly that is amazing to have met him. I love his arrangements and I respect his work so much. I loved the pictures and I am so happy that you took the time to blog even when you are so busy! Thank you again and cherish your last few days.
ReplyDeleteJeeeaaalllooouuss! Sooooooooo cool! How many people can say that they have met those amazing people? And don['t worry Heidi- no one will ever describe you as prickly, I am pretty sure.
ReplyDeleteWow, wow, and wow. How cool! I'm so happy that you're having these amazing experiences!
ReplyDelete