Sadly, thats what my camera said to me when I turned it on today. :( So this will be an extremely boring post, the camera-less kind that everyone hates. I'm sorry!!!
Today started off with rehearsal for our Oxford adventures this weekend. I'm the only alto in my group, but I think its kinda fun that way. :) We could definitely use some more practice time, but we'll be fine. After rehearsing Brother Wimmer (an older man in Sister Hall's ward) talked to us for a while about the new government formed today. There was a hung parliament so this is history right now for England! Brother Wimmer is really knowlegeable. He and his wife (she's here as well) are probably 60 something and have led tons of study abroad groups over here. They feel like this is their home. :) They're super helpful and really cute! Haha.
We had a great plan laid out full of adventure all day! Too bad none of it worked out... First we were going to go to Buckingham Palace. Then we found out that the changing of the guard is at 11 every day, so we decided to wait on that til we a have a day where we can see that, then tour inside. So then we decided to take a tour of Westminster Abbey! We arrived at 2:41 only to find out that on Wednesdays the last tour is at 2:30. Every other day the last tour is at 3:30. Ugh. Then we headed to the Globe Theatre to get our tickets for A MidSummer Nights Dream tonight... only to find that it was sold out. Goodness gracious!! So then we headed over to the Tate Modern- this big museum full of modern art. I loved it! Once again, I am SO grateful for my civ classes! Civ 202 was seriously my favorite class last semester (besides Singers) and i just LOVE humanities stuff. I really wish I could study more literature and art along with my music. Anyway, it was great to recognize artists and paintings again in this museum. I really could spend so much time in art museums because I love reading everything about the work and then just looking at it for a while and trying to understand what the artist was trying to portray. I think its so fascinating! Of course, some of that art was just plain weird, but lots of it was really neat!
After that a few of us attended evensong at St. Paul's Cathedral. Holy smokes there are so many cool churches here! This place was so ornate and grandiose it just made me feel tiny. The ceilings were breathtaking, my eyes just popped open when I first saw them. They're covered with these beautiful paintings with warm colors of biblical scenes. It was amazing. There was so much gold everywhere and the place is just huge. I know our churches aren't built like that for a reason, but I really think there is something so glorifying in building a gorgeous cathedral like that. I know the Lord doesn't really care about earthly material stuff, but I don't know, I guess I kinda like the way they made these cathedrals so grand and beautiful and detailed because they wanted to give nothing but the best to the Lord. I guess we do that with our temples. Anyway, I'm totally rambling, but I just really like cathedrals. Especially with the choirs. Ah its amazing. I'm not sure what they sang, we walked in just as it was starting. I think its so amazing that they do evensong every night! I would love to go to a musical LDS fireside every night! How cool. Especially when you're singing Palestrina or Gibbons or something. Oh thats part of what they sang tonight! The anthem was O Clap Your Hands by Orlando Gibbons- it was one of our (MANY) listening assignments before we came here.
Ok after that we went to Wagamama- this Japanese food place that Brother Wimmer said is really popular. It was awesome. Let's just say when they handed me my dish there was a mountain of food, and by the time I was done that plate was as flat as Kansas. :)
We were all pretty tired by the end- all that walking around to places that we didn't know were closed wore us out. ;) So we've just been chillin, we took a little walk, checked out the place we have to do our laundry, and now I'm writing in my journal! Or blog. It serves both purposes.
One thing I've been good at so far is directions!! Brianna and Jamisyn, if you're reading this I know you don't believe me, but its true! I'm totally navigating my way around and I've got the tube down! :) Its great. I think its because I always use a map- and it works! Haha, imagine that. Maybe I need to carry a map around Provo haha.
Oh I forgot, I saw one of the three originals (at least thats what the sign said) of Rodin's "Kiss" sculpture today! Yes its slightly, ok maybe very, scandalous, but its super famous and I felt cool for seeing it! :)
Tomorrow should be great, we're going to hear the Sixteen and we're taking a boat over to Greenwich for it! Hopefully I'll have my memory card in my camera...
9/13/20 Part 2
6 years ago
Did you see the 'bird woman' on the "steps of St. Paul...?"I agree with you about grand cathedrals- they are awesome- especially their acoustics!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you are having a good time!
Very cool post. It just sounds incredible and Josh Shannon had sent me a you tube link of the Sixteen singing a gorgeous song. So I was thrilled to hear that you are going to get to listen to them. I am sorry you couldn't see some of those sights but there will be another day. Good job navigating with your map! I love to read your posts. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteOh I forgot to tell you in your last post you said you had a missionary experience but did you write about it?
ReplyDeleteWow Heidi, I'm super impressed but not quite convinced about your direction skills ;) You’ll have to prove it to me when you get back to Provo. And your mom is so right… the title of your last post was about a missionary experience and then you didn’t tell about it!!! Haha. It was wonderful to facebook chat with you today :) miss you
ReplyDelete